Thursday, September 04, 2008

Lots of Wine Conversation at the EWBC

There is a LOT I need to think about, do and write about following the success of the European Wine Bloggers Conference (EWBC) this weekend - so much so that I have neglected to put up a post on this blog since my return, which rather misses the point!

So, what does the EWBC mean for The Wine Conversation? Here are some very early thoughts:
  • The wine conversation needs to be less insular. We talk about wines we know and have access to, but there is so much more to learn and experience. We need to find ways to broaden our horizons, and listening to wine lovers from other countries is a great place to start
  • Wine bloggers are as diverse as wine drinkers. Very few of us are doing the same as one another (wineries, marketing, tastings and more), which gives great scope for sharing ideas for conversations and exploring our different takes on them. We should find out what readers want to know more about and explore it together and maybe get debates going
  • Let's stop being too introspective (says a great offender) and be more innovative, particularly with media. Enjoying wine is NOT all about tasting notes and points systems. We need more video, audio, imagery and other creative content
  • Honesty is not just the best policy, but essential to the trust bloggers need to build credibility. This doesn't come from Codes of Conduct or Terms & Conditions, but from action. Let's get on with doing the kinds of things that will really surprise and delight readers (like winery bloggers sharing details of the harvest and even tasting each others wines - coming soon!)
  • Wine brings people together. Naturally. We must continue to get across that drinking and enjoying wine is more than getting drunk and avoid playing into the hands of those who would kill off the wine culture
All of these topics are ripe for their separate discussions and I already have ideas of new friends to contact to explore them further.

There will be some concrete actions coming out of the conference, including some further gatherings (maybe one in the UK for bloggers & our readers over here?), but these will have to wait for another day. In the interim, check out the videos of the conference on VinusTV or on the EWBC site, and follow some of the resulting discussions on Wineblogger.info - the site for sharing tips and thoughts on wine blogging.



Finally, let me say that the conference was hard work - getting it organised and running it took a great deal of effort. I want to thank all those who took part for the fun weekend, but I particularly want to thank 2 groups of people:

First, my friends at Dinastia Vivanco (my major client) who not only encouraged my obsession with this topic, but also agreed to sponsor the event. I'm forever indebted to you - thank you Santiago and Rafael Vivanco!

And last, but not least, Ryan and Gabriella Opaz at Catavino.net for being such great people, committed bloggers and wonderful, wonderful friends.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

Joe Roberts said...

This makes me excited for the upcoming NA WBC!

I've heard some "cross talk" in twitter and other areas. Almost ALL of the feedback on the EWBC has looked positive.

There have been some comments that appear a bit negative. Any thoughts on those? (i.e., any immediately apparent learnings we can bring the WBC here?).

Cheers!

Robert McIntosh said...

what negative comments were you thinking of?

I haven't stopped hearing "thank you", "well done" and "more" - so maybe I was blind to them, but I don't recall anything negative at all.

:)

As for the NA WBC - if you need any marriage counselling ...

Anonymous said...

Aweshucks! Your great too! :) Seriously though all good points and the two I want to enforce are the being insular bit. Does no good for anyone, and the part about looking outside our bubble, or rather thinking of the consumer not just the critics...

Anonymous said...

Joe,

We can't wait to hear feedback on the USA one too. We wish we could be there, but we trust there will be lots of great reports coming out of there, so I'm sure that we'll be caught up on the info ;-)

However, if you've heard any constructive criticism on the event, we'd love to know about it. Seriously, it's the only way we can improve future conferences!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, clarification - constructive criticism on the EWBC event :-)

Joe Roberts said...

Sorry all - I saw a fleeting mention on twitter and it wasn't specific... I don't even recall the user handle. In fact, I debated mentioning it for those reasons.

BUT - I will keep an eye out and let you know if anything resurfaces. I can say that aside from that tiny comment, I've seen only glowing reviews!

Anonymous said...

I think the EU wine bloggers should get together with the EU food bloggers...

Robert McIntosh said...

Krista, I'm not averse to any such association - is there such a thing?