Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wine, Food and The Muse

You may have experienced a different tone from the posts on this site recently. I have certainly felt the difference when trying to write posts. The main reason, I believe, is that I have not been drinking any wine (with one or two extremely minor exceptions) for the last few weeks because I may need to dash off to the local maternity ward at any moment, so need to be alert.

The excitement and stressful expectation of babies aside, I find that my Vinous Muse has decided to pack her bags and head off on a brief seaside holiday in the interim, and thus my motivation for passionate discourse has abated somewhat.

I'm considering setting myself, and anyone who cares to join in, a challenge: to spend a week eating and drinking ONLY (dinner) dishes & wine matches to be found on UK blogs

Even though I do not post tasting notes on the wines I drink, these wines do inspire me with questions, to do some research or elicit some sort of reaction, and without them I feel like I am missing out on something.

Not drinking, when I normally drink a glass or two most nights, is difficult enough, but not drinking and trying to write engaging content to inspire others to do so, is even more of a torture.

All will be resolved in the next few days (I hope) and normal service resumed.

I've been thinking about the kinds of wine drinkers again. I wondered whether it was just me that was really not interested in food & wine matching and tasting notes, or whether there were more of us? I totally understand why one would be interested in combining food & wine writing, but I have yet to be bitten by that bug.

I'm considering setting myself, and anyone who cares to join in, a challenge: to spend a week eating and drinking ONLY (dinner) dishes & wine matches to be found on UK blogs (it must be a blog!). It will require a lot more pre-planning and shopping than I'm used to, but it could be fun and I might learn to appreciate the art more.

Any suggestions on sites to use as sources gratefully appreciated. I already have my friends as Spittoon and Cooksister as inspiration. Any others?

(pictured: my attempt at food & wine matching)

--

"The Wine Conversation a proud supporter of both the 2008 American Wine Bloggers Conference and European Wine Bloggers Conference"

5 comments:

Peter F May said...

A brave mission. I look forward to reading your reports (tho' I note that while you post a photo of your food & wine matching, there is no description of food or wine)

In the meantime are a three food/wine suggestions from my blog

http://www.pinotage.org/2007/08/drinking-kanonkop-04.html

http://www.pinotage.org/2007/08/beef-in-pinotage.html

http://www.pinotage.org/pinotage-vindaloo-no-problem-wine-and.html

Robert McIntosh said...

that's the point :)

taking a photo of them together is the extent of my interest to date!

I will certainly check out your suggestions and look forward to adding a Pinotage to the mix

Ewan said...

I have to say I heartily applaud your first attempt at a food & wine match photograph. The right subject matter, and at the front of the photo too!!

Robert McIntosh said...

I thought you might like that! :)

Nice to see you join the blogging world again, I look forward to reading your adventures.

The Tasting Note said...

I discovered the best sherry/food matching last week. Lustau Anada 1989 with Mcvities Jamaican Ginger Cake! Just a small tip if you are stuck! It is on my blog (so it does qualify!!!)

http://www.thetastingnote.com/2008/07/lustau-sherries.html